Seal Your Promotion or Blot Your Copybook: The Annual Office Party Do’s and Don'ts
The silly season will soon be upon us and it’s certainly called that for a reason. A time for silly spending, silly games and often silly drinking; cue the Annual Office Party.
So, how do you strike the balance of having a good time without eliminating yourself from future promotion?
- Remember that a work social is still an office function. You remain an ambassador for your Department and your behaviour could ultimately determine your career path.
- Don’t use the event to bring out your shortest, slinkiest outfit. Choose an outfit that is venue and event appropriate and that reflects the personality you wish to portray in your day job.
- Don’t get roaring drunk. Stay one alcoholic drink behind everyone else to keep an element of control, and eat a snack beforehand so that you are not drinking on an empty stomach. Join in, be fun but don’t pass the point of charming.
- Don’t stay huddled within your Team. Use the occasion to socialise with other people within the organisation. This is a perfect opportunity to speak to superiors whom you would not otherwise converse with.
- Don’t gossip about others after the evening. Your silence will earn you trust and respect from your colleagues and build you allies.
- Do send a hand written thank you note to the host.